Whenever setting up a new machine, I go off of this list to make sure I’ve got all the right software on my machine, along with getting everything set up. That way, I have everything all taken care of, and nothing will surprise me when I get started and working.
I like to update this every once in a while, around each year to make sure everything is up to date.
- Install all updates, then any drivers needed (LAN, Video, etc.). Confirm all hardware is working appropriately. If desired, check the Windows Experience Score.
- Turn off UAC, Sticky Keys and Filter Keys shortcuts.
- Install Chocolatey using the PowerShell command
- Install and configure the following software using Chocolatey:
- TeamViewer (teamviewer)
- Google Chrome x64 (google-chrome-x64)
- VLC (vlc)
- Sumatra PDF (sumatrapdf)
- Dropbox (dropbox)
- imgBurn (imgburn)
- Teracopy (teracopy)
- Revo Uninstaller (revo.uninstaller)
- 7zip (7zip)
- FileZilla (filezilla)
- CCleaner (ccleaner)
- Prey (prey)
- Git (git.install)
- TortoiseGit (tortoisegit)
- Resharper (resharper)
- Beyond Compare (beyondcompare)
- AutoHotkey (autohotkey.install)
- Visual Studio Code (visualstudiocode)
- Divvy (divvy)
- qBitTorrent (qbittorrent)
- Install and configure the following:
- Confirm that all updates have been installed.
- Set CCleaner to run automatically.