For my first meet, I ended up getting only a few hours of sleep (falling asleep around 1am because excited) and getting up at 4:30am to start my drive to Midland. I got into the venue at around 7am, much earlier then I needed to be there, but good to everything settled out and comfortable.
I was there alone, which I wouldn’t recommend to do for anyone else, because there was a lot of stuff going on, and no one to help me understand anything that was going on. After some time, I figured out how to get registered and weighed in, so I was ready to go.
I was put in the middle of the first flight, in the 198 class. I didn’t have any kind of plans to win or even place, all I wanted to do was establish some PRs and then go from there.
For my attempts, I decided to use the following formula:
- Midway step to 1RM using formula
- Calculated 1RM
- 132.5 kg
- 145 kg
- 157.5 kg
- 95 kg
- 102.5 kg
- 110 kg
- 132.5 kg
- 152.5 kg
- 165 kg
432.5 kg (953 lbs.), 4th out of 4 in 198 Raw Open
Went pretty well for a first meet. Looking now, I am glad I had that motivation to go to the meet on my own, since I wasn’t able to find anyone to support me to come with. A couple points for the future
- Bring clean shirts, underwear, and socks. I was sweating pretty hard at the end of the squat round, and a fresh set of stuff to wear would have been nice.
- Bring a lot of food to eat, you’ll most likely go through all of it.
- There were a lot of older lifters lifting a very respectable amount of weight. A guy in his 40s or 50s didn’t look very strong or intimidating, and I watched him pull 500 lbs. without much effort.
- A number of people had trouble with the cues, so I just focused on the cues completely.
- A lot of people weren’t going low enough in squats, and were being red-lighted for it.
- About 150 people were in attendance, I really was expecting less.